You know that email marketing is one of the most profitable activities you can do. After all, the Direct Marketing Association has studied this extensively and found that although email marketing is a relatively inexpensive marketing tactic, the return on investment averages 4300% (and that’s not a typo, I promise!)
But to make your emails profitable, you need to make sure you consistently do a few things right:
1) Engage Users — When someone signs up for your email list, they’re not a customer yet. They’re a potential customer. It’s imperative that you find a way to engage them. Encourage your email recipients to ask questions of you, answer polls, and interact with you. Use email to point out little known facts about your products and services that might not be apparent at first. Set these messages up on an autoresponder so that a new potential customer is learning about various features of your products and / or services. I personally use a technique that turns 48% new subscribers into customers within 10 minutes of the first contact just through one engagement tactic. (I share it at 20 to Plenty.)
2) Understand Your Community — Content is never going to go out of style in pretty much all forms. Email content needs to be relevant, focused, and targeted just like the rest of your content, and even more so. You are writing content for a very specific audience when you write content for email marketing messages. Know your audience, and know what type of content they want, then deliver it without fail.
3) Do Unto Others — You know exactly how you want to be treated when you sign up for someone’s email marketing list. You want to be respected, you want to receive the information promised on the days that were promised. Your email recipients are potential customers or actual customers and need to be treated as such. If you have consent to send emails, send them, personalize them, and respect the recipient.
4) Segment Your Markets — It is essential that you use an email list provider that allows for market segmentation. List segmentation is going to help you get better open rates, better click through rates, and better response rates. When you segment your list, you’ll send specialized messages to each separate list making your email marketing campaigns more relevant to the recipient. Segmenting improves results exponentially.
5) Mobile Optimization is not Optional — Today, 47% of emails are opened in a mobile device. So it’s important that you realize that and optimize your email for mobile readers. Any links you want the recipient to click should take them to a mobile optimized area too. Nothing can be more disappointing to try to click something or buy something from your mobile device and you can’t. Most people will not wait until they get home to their PC’s to complete the transaction. It’ll just be a lost transaction.
Want to learn to make the most of your email marketing? Then check out 20 to Plenty, where in 20 days you can get more subscribers, more engagement and more profits from your emails.