Many people want to grow a successful business that’s profitable. And often times, it’s some of the little details that end up making or breaking it. Here are the most common mistakes that can easily be corrected and make a difference to profits:
1) An ill-conceived domain name – Your domain name is important. Many business owners make the mistake of neglecting keywords or failing to consider how easy their domain name will be to remember, spell and type into their browser. Make sure to spend time researching and even testing your chosen domain name. Also, try to avoid .org, .net and .biz as much as possible because they are more difficult to remember and some email programs consider them spam.
2) Slow upload times – Flash, dynamic web pages, as well as images and videos that take up too much memory, are the major causes of slow download times. The general rule of thumb is to make sure your images are no larger than 10KB. Why is this so important? Your web visitors are impatient people. We’re accustomed to getting instant gratification online, and if a web page takes too long to load, you’ll lose people as they click away.
3) Neglecting traffic generation strategies – In this day and age it’s silly to expect that just because you have a website means people will automatically visit it. It’s the old “if you build it, they will come” mistake. To have a successful business, traffic generation tactics are essential. Some strategies to generate traffic include:
- Social networking
- Content marketing including blog posts, press releases and articles
- PPC advertising
- Keyword research and SEO tactics
4) Messy, difficult to read websites – Website design is crucial. A website that is jam packed with banner ads, unusual and difficult to read fonts, too many colors and distractions will cause your website visitors to leave quickly. Your prospects and customers want an easy to navigate website where everything they want is easy to find. Your website takes their needs into consideration by not barraging them with graphics, advertisements and difficult to read content.
5) Unclear products and/or services – Have you ever been to a website where you have no idea what they do or provide? Many coaches and consultants make this mistake; they neglect to inform their audience right away, on their landing page, about what they have to offer. Make sure your USP, unique selling proposition, is clear, easy to understand, and available right on your landing page.
6) Shopping Cart Issues – Abandoned shopping carts are problematic for any online entrepreneur. Not enough information about the shopping cart process, requiring too much information (like forcing shoppers to register) and a difficult to understand shopping cart system can all cause people to change their minds and click away – lost sales! Make your purchasing process easy to understand and follow through. Make sure you have a FAQ page to answer commonly asked questions.
7) Out of date content – Content is an essential aspect of any business. It helps drive traffic, it provides value and it helps establish you as a credible authority in your industry. If you neglect to provide a constant source of up to date information, your profits will suffer. You’ll lose traffic and search engine page ranking, your customers and prospects will stop seeking information on your website and you’ll lose credibility. Think of it this way, if you see that the last blog post was dated 6 months ago or the copyright information is years old, would you trust that the entrepreneur is really in business? Create a solid content strategy that will ensure you provide regular, valuable content all year long.
8) Poor customer service – You’ve likely heard the phrase that it’s cheaper to keep a customer than to get a new one. Good customer service, which includes easy to find contact information, a prompt response time and a FAQ page to address common questions and issues, will go a long way toward keeping your customers. Ticket systems, online chat, and autoresponders are all options to improve your customer service.
Owning and growing an business is work, but it can be rewarding and profitable if you make sure to steer clear of these common mistakes.
Looking for more ideas to increase your sale and profits, then check out my Marketing Breakthrough Strategy Sessions, where in less than one hour, you’ll get several ideas and tweaks to make more money in less time. Go to http://marketingbreakthroughstrategy.com/