Today, you’ll concentrate on writing an email for the purpose of making a new connection. This person will go on your potential affiliates or JV partners. This list is very valuable because they are the people who promote you or collaborate with you to create a new product/offer. When you reach out to grow this list, you are indirectly growing your other lists and maybe even your product line. In the big picture, you are extending your reach beyond your existing audience.
Tips for Approaching Someone New:
- Keep the message brief and to the point. Make sure that it includes information that will grab their interest.
- Mention how you know them and how they may know you. Mention what you admire about their work but don’t gush.
- Mention something you’d like to do for them. This could include promoting one of their products, linking to one of their posts or spotlighting them in some way.
- Ask a question that doesn’t involve a favor in return. You simply want to open a dialogue to build a relationship.
- Once your relationship develops a bit and you are officially on their radar as a “potential”, you can ask for a small favor.
Just because you send a message, doesn’t mean you will get the response you’d like or even a response at all. If the person you write to doesn’t answer, don’t worry. You can re-try with a follow up message or use a different method of contacting them. Even if you still don’t get a reply, you are perfecting your emails and fine-tuning them as you go. It’s worth it in the end. Keep at it.
I suggest using this email once per week, sending it to someone new to expand your network. Of course, you can also send this letter via social media, as well.