The average new year’s resolution lasts less than two weeks! And my guess is, when it comes to business, resolutions last even less than two weeks, as the day to day activities ramp up again at the beginning of the 2011.
That’s why I think making resolutions are crap. They are just promises, without any substance. Sure, some will say that not meeting a resolutions only shows a lack of motivation. But the truth is: motivation is fleeting. No one can be motivated every second of the day.
To have success in your business, you do need to be motivated. But success is more about some very un-sexy things like planning, self-control, discipline, organization, time management, decision making and mental toughness.
Not sexy, not glamorous, but effective.
So if you must make resolutions, look at them as goals. And make them SMART goals. That is:
and put a plan in place to achieve them.
Personally, I stopped making resolutions a while back. I want more than just vague promises. I want real results. I want to make a difference to my life, my family, and the world. I want to make REVOLUTIONS!
So each year, I choose a theme to focus on. This year (2010), I used the word PROSPERITY. For 2011, I’m going with LEVERAGE.
How did I come up with it? How can you come up with your theme?
- Look at your business and personal goals for the upcoming year.
- Decide what needs to change in order for you to achieve those goals and choose a word. For example, if you have missed a lot of deadlines in the past, perhaps your theme could be “Organization.”
- Keep the theme positive and results-oriented.
- Choose only ONE theme per year.
- Keep the theme in the forefront of your business. I often print it out on fancy paper and hang it in my office so I can see it. I also make it my screen saver. Put it where you will see it every so often.
- As you work on your business, make sure you check in to see your theme is incorporated in all you do. Ask yourself, ‘ Would this choice be consistent with my theme and move me closer to my goals?’ If so, go for it. If not, think long and hard before making that choice.
Speaking of leverage, if you really want to use the power of leverage n your business, you should take advantage of my all-access pass offer, which is ending soon! When you invest, you’ll get access to everything I offer, including VIP days, the Sponsorship Made Simple Academy, my S.A.L.E.S. System Formula and more. Check it out at http://www.beheardsolutions.com/all-access.html