Many think getting publicity is difficult. It’s hard work… but not difficult.
After all, publicity is the act of relaying crafted messages to target audiences with the intention of influencing them. It happens to you every day. And you do it every day, too.
In my world, it’s easy to see how publicity and public relations work. I’m not talking about my business; my twin daughters, who are four this month, are perfect examples as to how natural publicity is to us.
“Mommy, look at this!” And of course, not only do I look at it, but praise it and tell her dad about it too. See? Publicity in action.
If you don’t think you’re ready for publicity, how about taking some lessons from my little ones:
- Tooting your own horn is ok. If you want attention, you’ve got to tell people. Good deeds (and good work) often go unnoticed otherwise. When Lyra finished her stuffed toy arrangement, she needed to let us know, otherwise it would have just been a pile of stuffed animals to us.
- Dress for success. Playing dress up is always a fun game that boosts energy and creativity. Sometimes dressing up is enough to get you going and feeling like you really ARE someone!
- Don’t be afraid to reach out. Sasha always says hi and hugs people she meets. Good PR is all in the relationships, so pick up the phone and connect. (Hugging isn’t always necessary, but also nice once in a while!)
- Silence is not always a good thing. In our house, it often means something big is brewing and trouble is near. So don’t be quiet, speak your mind, as it often attracts more people.
- Remember to share. Just taking makes you greedy – and no one wants to play with a taker. Share your knowledge and expertise, and you will become known credible and responsive.
Are you looking for easy ways to incorporate publicity into your business? Check out Penny Pinching Publicity, to get media coverage with ebooks, press releases, media lists, teleclasses, laser coaching and more.