Last time, I talked about how you need to break through your issues to be ready to get publicity. I even alluded that getting publicity wasn’t hard to do.
So how easy is it to get media coverage?
Before I answer the steps it takes, let’s explore some ground rules first:
- Publicity is like any other form of marketing: You can’t expect immediate results out of the gate. Sure, it can and does happen, but a better approach is to keep it part of a long term marketing plan for the best results.
- If you or your business isn’t ready for media coverage, you’ll be losing out on opportunities.
- You can’t just sit on a couch all day and think that publicity will come to you. You need to hustle to be on top of trends and get to know reporters personally.
Here’s the 3 simple steps to getting publicity:
- Know your target market. Understand what motivates them (the hook) and what media outlets they are using to get their information from.
- Craft your message. Whether you use a press release or a pitch, make sure you cover all the bases with the 5 W’s (who, what, where, when, why) and the H (how). Remember you are answering the question WIIFM (What’s In It For Me) for your target market. And “So what? Who cares?” for journalists.
- Deliver it to relevant media professionals. This is key, as so often many folks just blank an entire media list whether or not it’s relevant to the journalist or the target market. And this is also where developing those relationships with reporters comes in. The more they know you, the more they are likely to rely on you for great news stories.
Want to learn the step-by-step process for getting publicity the RIGHT way? Therese Skelly and I are hosting a series of classes to help. It’s called Ready, Set, Publicity: How to Become THE Expert in Your Field. You and your business will be primed and ready to go. Plus we’ll show you how to get publicity through press releases and answering requests from reporters using HARO, PitchRate, PR Leads and more. Join us on February 2 by registering at http://www.readysetpublicity.com