Yesterday, I talked a little about the difference of Push & Pull PR.
Today, I want to share one of the most under utilized opportunities for effective push PR: blogger relations. It’s something I talked a little bit about at the Social Media Telesummit and explore a lot more in my Attract MORE Clients and Customers With Free Publicity class. (One is coming up in February, so stay tuned for details.)
Pitching bloggers can be a slippery slope, so keep in mind the following considerations:
- Be relevant – Mass emailed press releases do not work with bloggers. Review the blog’s categories and previous posts and only offer related news.
- Personalize – Blogging is much more a personal expression than writing articles in a mainstream publications and bloggers respond to personal messages. Generic and poorly written pitches will either be ignored or posted to the blog for everyone to see.
- Make it easy – Write a summary of your news with links to full versions and related resources. Many bloggers will copy paste your summary, add a few of their own comments and link to the news release.
- Swag is good – If you have products or services that can be tried out, be sure to offer them.
- Be persistent – Many bloggers have day jobs and do not have a lot of time. Do not be discouraged if your news does not get picked up or if you do not get a response on your pitch. Try again and be persistent, but not annoying.