During the past few weeks, clients and others are approaching me about submitting a video to Oprah to get their own show on her new network.
Many feel that having a show with Oprah Winfrey backing them will give them the boost they need to make it ‘big time.’
Yes, that can happen. But what are the chances that it will? Personally, I think you have a better chance winning the lottery or even a stronger chance of being struck by lightening than getting your own show.
But you can improve your chances, with a little help.
Based on my information about the project, and my background as a news and program producer (I produced a couple of shows for TLC and the History Channel), here are some things to remember:
- Voting isn’t as important as stage presence and personalty.
- Personality doesn’t mean being outrageous and wild. In fact, being a bit ‘crazy’ will make you lose points.
- You need to look good and give good voice. Sorry. I know it sucks, but it’s the nature of the medium.
- Your show idea needs to be mainstream. Seriously, too focused a niche (such as law of attraction, gluten-free cooking, etc) will not make the network money… and that’s the bottom line.
- The video is a DEMO. That means it’s a demonstration of what you will be doing on your proposed show. Don’t tell your concept in the video… show it! You need to prove that you can do it.
Perhaps you’d like more help crafting your demo video – or even would like an objective, experienced eye evaluate it for you. I can help with my Publicity Breakthroughs. Sure, people often use these breakthroughs to get PR ideas and feedback, but they can certainly be used for videos to Oprah as well.