Is getting publicity in the media as important as people say? Is being covered in news media really worth the time it takes to get noticed?
The answer is yes, as any company who has experienced the benefits of using media exposure to promote their business will tell you.
The Wall Street Journal ran a piece on how valuable public relations are to any business, especially in terms of media coverage – and it’s important for any business whether a one man or woman business all the way up to the world’s largest corporations to make the most of media opportunities. This piece mentioned that many companies begin to focus on PR after being less than impressed with the results they’d gotten from traditional ad campaigns.
Why is it that businesses are making PR an integral part of their game plans?
Company owner Lena Fiore, who herself doesn’t use traditional advertising to promote her business was interviewed in the article, mentioning that the natural skepticism which people have about advertising makes coverage in the news media a much better way to build credibility. One positive news story, she related, brought half a million additional sales to her business! It’s difficult to say the least to accomplish this with any sort of paid advertising.
These are the kind of results which are moving businesses to use PR efforts instead of paid advertising to increase sales. Some companies have started using a very simple method to find out what publicity is working the best for them: a “how did you hear about us” questionnaire on their webpages; and many are finding that more so than advertisements, it is press coverage which brings in customers.
These are some of the most important positives of media exposure for your business:
1) You can get publicity for a very low cost. The amount of sales which a favorable review or being featured in a positive light in a news story are more than worth the time you’ll spend putting together a press kit and building relationships with people in the media. Compared to the cost of buying a comparable amount of advertising, it’s almost free!
2) News coverage gets the reader’s attention where ads fail to make an impact. People can and do skip ads; but being the subject of an story in print, radio or television news gets your business noticed.
3) Credibility. People don’t necessarily believe advertisements (nor should they). However, being covered in the news makes your business immediately more credible. These are perceived as objective sources which can by and large be trusted.
4) Sales. More than likely, you began patronizing some of your local businesses after reading about them in the newspaper or a magazine or seeing them featured on TV. For example, take the local restaurant review program “Check Please” in Chicago – being featured on the program guarantees a restaurant a packed house for weeks afterwards. You just can’t buy this kind of publicity.
5) You can go the DIY route. There are many websites which can show you how to pull off your own PR strategies just like a professional. You’ll learn about how to work with and get your business featured in different kinds of media. If you’re a new business working with a small budget, this is a good way to go.
6) You’ll have more control over your business’ image. Every business can become the target of criticism; but when you learn to use PR effectively, you can get out ahead of the issues which may impact your business and take a position before a problem even has the chance to arise.
And if you’ve decided to go the DIY route, let me help you.
Imagine having all the resources in place to get your publicity machine working for you. No struggling to write a good press release. No worries about finding media contacts. NO hassles on figuring out how to do marketing that attracts customers and clients.
That’s what Penny Pinching Publicity is all about. It’s like having your own PR consultant on speed dial.
Each month, you’ll learn tactics and skills to get you and your business noticed by journalists in your own backyard – and across the country. You’ll save thousands by doing exactly what PR firms do without hiring a PR firm!
As a Penny Pinching Publicity member, each month you’ll receive:
* Two group coaching teleclasses
* Downloadable audio recordings of the telesessions
* An ebook of the marketing topic
* Simple to use worksheet to help implement the specific topic
* Fill-in-the-blank press release
* Access to the Penny Pinching Publicity membership area which includes additional tips, tactics and media contacts
* Private laser coaching sessions
And for a limited time, it’s all yours for $47 a month for the length of your continual subscription. You’ll save 30% by going to http://www.PennyPinchingPublicity.com