Lately, I’ve been helping my clients add what I call “signature programs” to their toolbox of coaching or consulting services. Signature programs are unique, focused learning experiences that lead clients to achieving their high-value goals. As someone in the expertise business,you can package your unique philosophy, approach and content into a one-of-a-kind program that will yield amazing results…for both you and your clients. However, I’ve noticed that many coaches and consultants struggle with program delivery. So, I’d like to share some tips for delivering successful coaching and consulting programs:
Tip #1: Focus on the client experience: You’re excited about your content (as you should be), but don’t focus strictly on information. I’ve found that solid content accounts for just 40% of a program’s success- the other 60% is based on the overall experience, level of support and ability to implement. Keep your focus on the client experience – whether the content is presented in a useful and valuable way so your clients can apply what they’ve learned.
Tip #2: Keep the level of content manageable: More is not always better when it comes to a program…so don’t feel compelled to pack in everything you know! Your clients are only able to absorb a finite amount of information. Don’t fall into the trap of overstuffing your program with too many details, “special offers,” “one-time bonuses” or “exclusive content.”
Tip #3: Match the content to the delivery method: There’s no set method for delivering a successful program; the key is matching the goals and the delivery. For example, don’t bill your program as a “mastermind” session if you have 150 participants. Think about whether your program is best delivered in-person or virtually (webinar, teleseminar, etc.) or via a combination of various methods. Also, consider whether handouts, visuals, video or other examples might make your content more compelling and usable.
Tip #4: Know who your audience is: Your program isn’t for everyone. Is a certain level of expertise, prior experience or commitment required for success in your program? Position your program for the appropriate audience and you’ll be far more successful – and so will your participants. Otherwise, you run the risk of having content that’s too basic for some participants (who will feel they’ve wasted their money) and too advanced for others (who might walk away frustrated).
Tip #5: Provide follow up and support: Make sure you have a clear vision of where you’re taking your clients, at what point in the process you’re leaving them, and any issues that might come up once they’ve completed your program. Clearly communicate your vision so that everyone has the same expectations of
the desired end state.
One of the ways I teach clients to accomplish the 5 tips in creating their programs is to build everything around what I call the FAST framework:
Foundation concepts: It’s important to ground your program participants in your philosophy, approach and process, and to orient them to what you’ll cover and what they can expect out of your program.
Application experiences: Your clients want more than information; they want to be able to immediately take action on what they’re learning so that they can see the value of your signature program. So, provide strategies that your clients can begin applying the concepts to their real-life situation.
Stick strategies: Your clients signed up for your program because they want to make a positive change toward achieving their goals. But, getting change to “stick” can be a challenge. Help your clients think through the obstacles they might face in making the program stick. Then, develop a plan of action.
Sometimes, I have my clients create an accountability system or even make changes in their physical environment to help them avoid drifting back into old habits.
Transition: What happens after your clients complete your program? Make sure you have a plan in place for helping them reach the next level of success. Think through the challenges your clients may face post-program and what sort of help they may require, whether it’s next steps in coaching, tools, ongoing work with a team or a more advanced signature program.
Armed with these five delivery tips and the FAST framework, you should feel more confident in delivering your signature program. And your clients will report amazing results! For more information on creating and delivering unique, high-value signature programs, contact Shawn Driscoll at http://www.yoursignatureprogram.com.