I have a confession to make.
I screwed up… big time.
I didn’t plan properly.
And that led to a series of events that may have resulted in me losing a friend and trusted advisor.
Let me explain: I got an amazing opportunity that I wanted to seize. It was something I had been planning on offering anyway but hadn’t yet developed the materials. But now that opportunity was clearly knocking, I had to move fast. I needed to create a form. But I didn’t have the time I needed, so I used one from a friend.
Usually I revise such things and make them my own, but with a lack of time, I just replaced her info with mine but kept the rest the same.
And when she found out, she felt betrayed.
She had given me the form to use, after I told her how great I thought it was, but she had expected me to improve it, or at least change it, to make it distinctively mine. She was not happy that I just copied it. Not happy at all.
I do understand why she would feel that way. I know that in the past many people have ‘stolen’ her templates, forms, and even programs, without giving her any credit, thanks, or commissions. And now I had just done the same to her.
When she confronted me, I told her the truth (as I always do):
- I honestly had thought she had given it to me months ago to use. (Her thought was that I would have revised it – use it as more of a guide to make my own.)
- I also tried to contact her before I sent the form out, but she wasn’t available. So, in a hurry, I just sent it.
- It would not happen again.
- And I was sorry… very sorry.
Now, I have to wait and hope that the wounds will heal a bit. (Of course, if you know me, waiting is torture. So it is a pretty good ‘punishment’ for me.) In the meantime, I am working to regain her trust by doing the following:
- Revising the form
- Crediting her by, on the form, at the bottom of every (revised) page, saying: Inspired by and her name and url
- Sending her the revised form
And here’s the thing, I could have avoided this whole painful screw-up if I had planned things better. If I had put rewriting the form in my schedule when I first decided to do this new service, then I would have done it the right way, and this wouldn’t have become such a calamity.
So now I have to let time do its thing. What else can I do?