Yes, I know what you’re thinking: ‘Christmas in July… what the heck is Shannon talking about?’
But I’m noticing I’m helping a lot of those getting Publicity Breakthroughs to see the way the media ‘seasons’ work.
You see, in the PR world, days at the beach, baseball and summer barbecues mean only one thing: it’s time to start pitching stories for the winter and end-of year holiday season.
If you are looking to add publicity – and media coverage during the coveted fourth quarter, you need to start planning and pitching the news NOW.
You see, due to the lengthy lead times many news outlets – especially magazines – have, journalists start looking for story ideas about the holiday season in the summer. And as the adage goes: The early bird gets the worm. So you need to begin pitching your suggestions now in order to get any coverage then.
Here’s the scoop on some of the major media types and their usual deadlines for winter stories:
- Magazines – July/August
- Wires and Syndicates – September
- Newspapers – October
- TV – November
Once you know about the timing, there’s still more you need to realize BEFORE you pitch:
- Send it to the appropriate news outlets. Just because you have a directory of every magazine out there, doesn’t mean you must send it to every single one. Make sure your pitch goes to outlets with the same target market.
- Keep your pitch brief: No more than three paragraphs. Highlight the product, offer samples (if available) and photos, and don’t forget your contact details.
- Always check to find out who is responsible for the section your story should appear in and what type of information they would like to receive. Some may want a press kit & product samples; others may just want a pitch.
- Customize the pitch. Reporters don’t all want the same story blasted to them. Take the time to craft the pitch so it’s unique to every journalist and his or her audience. You’re more apt to get more mileage out of your publicity efforts when you bring the reporter the perfect story for them.
Is the heatwave blocking your creative juices on what to pitch to reporters for year-end coverage? Then now is the time to book your Publicity Breakthrough session, where I’ll share a ton of strategies and ideas to help you get that media coverage. And best yet, you can get all that help at a discounted price because on August 1, I’m raising the fees for such sessions by more than 30%. Visit http://www.publicitybreakthrough.com