One common mistake small business owners and entrepreneurs make time after time in their marketing is this — relying on one source to generate their leads.
In fact, I can’t tell you how many times I tell people I’m in marketing and what they say to is “Oh, the only thing I do for marketing is word of mouth.”
If you rely on only one marketing source, like word of mouth, we can nearly guarantee what your business looks like. Feast or famine. Either you’re buried in work, stressed to the max as you spend all of your time and energy frantically fulfilling the work pouring in, or you’re starving. Nothing is coming in and you spend your days worrying about how you’re going to pay next month’s bills.
So how do you avoid that situation? By not relying on one lead source but instead diversifying and having leads come in from multiple sources.
Once you use a system to market yourself, you start to create a much more stable business environment for yourself, plus you have the added bonus that if a lead source dries up, you’re not out of business.
Let’s look at some ways to market yourself other than word of mouth:
1. Speaking. This is a great one as it also positions you as an expert. You can speak at live events or you can speak on your phone for teleclasses or you can do both.
2. Articles. Articles are great because they can be online to increase your search engine rankings or they can be submitted to traditional publications to reach the masses. Either way, it’s a great way to show off your expertise.
3. Networking. Both online (also called social networking and includes sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn) and offline (includes networking events and live seminars filled with your target market) are good ways to find leads and clients.
4. Media. Getting press releases placed or being interviewed on radio or television can also increase your bottom line. It can add that ‘third-party endorsement’ that gives your increased credibility.
5. Audio/Video. If you aren’t ready for primetime national TV exposure, how about creating your own radio or video show online where you can share tips and advice to show off who you are and what makes you great.
There are other ways to market yourself, and I explain them all in Complete Online/Offline Marketing System, but these ideas will get you started. Best yet, all these sources will work together for you and feed off each other (and even increase your overall referrals). For instance, someone might hear you speak, then meet you at an event, then check out your web site and finally hire you. Or they might first meet you on Facebook, then head on to your web site, then hear you speak and finally buy a product.
In the Complete Online/Offline Marketing System, Michele & I show you our unique – and highly profitable system – of how to take one article and recycle it to create all the content you need. Check it out today at http://www.ContentToProfit.com