I used to have a huge, huge, huge list. But not anymore.
Why? Because the numbers weren’t converting – meaning although I had a list in the tens of thousands, many weren’t even opening my emails, let alone buying what I was selling.
So I booted them off.
And today, my list is smaller but I’m making more money. That’s because my list is now TARGETED.
Here are some tips to build an email list that brings results.
1. Make them an offer they can’t refuse. The best way to motivate someone to sign up for your email list is to make them an offer they can’t refuse. We’re talking about a super valuable giveaway. For many, information products are a good motivating giveaway.
They can include eBooks, reports, online courses and even videos or audios. They provide the subscriber with instant gratification. And when the freebie is a top quality item, they’re sure to remain an avid subscriber. This means subsequent emails sent to them will be opened, read and acted upon.
2. Make sure your offer is strongly related to your niche. Some people make the mistake of offering freebies that don’t strongly correlate to their niche business or goal.
For example a fitness trainer may offer a free report on how to eat for fat burning. However, their website is otherwise devoted to fitness training exercises. People interested in fat burning are going to download the report but they may not necessarily be interested in fitness training or exercises. You want to draw the subscribers who will be interested in also buying your products and returning to your website.
3. Connect and network. One of the best ways to build an opt in list is to network. Get out, shake hands – literally. Pass out business cards. Participate on social networking feeds and include a website link on your profile and in some posts. Participate on blogs and industry forums. The more places you visit and the more people you meet the more traffic you’ll drive to your website opt-in form.
Put an offer for an exclusive freebie on your business card – one they can’t get from your regular site, and you’ll be getting opt-ins in no time.
4. Build partnerships to build your list. Partnerships with relevant businesses can be a powerful way to grow an effective email list. For example, an information website about pet grooming and a website that sells pet grooming supplies might benefit from cross promoting one another’s list. In List Building Promotion Secrets, I take this idea to the extreme and create a targeted holiday that benefits all you and your partners. Want to learn how? Go to http://ListBuildingPromotionSecrets.com
5. Article marketing. Article marketing accomplishes a number of business building tasks. It can also be used to drive strategic traffic to an opt-in page or squeeze page. However, when using article marketing be sure to:
- Write a top notch article that makes people want to read more.
- Offer a compelling and relevant giveaway to motivate an opt-in
- Link to your squeeze page from your article and/or author’s resource box.